WHAT IS IT:
Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid that contains both amino acids and fatty acids. The omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA work synergistically to provide the building blocks for healthy cell membranes. It has many vital functions throughout the body’s tissues and organs. Its most important function is being a key building block for the billions of brain cells. Phosphatidylserine is produced by the body, but we get most of our intake from food. When food isn’t enough or we have a greater need, supplementation is needed. It is often used for age-related cognitive decline, depression, ADHD and improving athletic performance.
- Phosphatidylserine is critical to the maintenance of all cellular function, especially in the brain.
- Increase brain function- In one study healthy young adults were given 400mg PS for 2 weeks, a significant improvement in processing speed (20%) and accuracy (13% more correct responses, 39% less wrong responses) is noted relative to placebo and independent of mood state.
- Increase Endurance- One study looked at the effects of daily supplementation of 750 milligrams for 10 days on active male cyclers. The main finding of the study was that PS supplementation significantly increased exercise time to exhaustion by 85 percent V̇O2 max. VO2 max is the maximum amount of oxygen that an individual can utilize during intense exercise. It’s a factor that can determine an athlete’s capacity to perform sustained exercise.
- Stress Reduction- Phosphatidylserine supplementation appears to exert anti-stress effects in otherwise healthy persons without stress disorders following prolonged supplementation, and this appears to possibly be independent of the classical biomarkers of stress reduction (cortisol, heart rate)
- Cortisol Reduction- Phosphatidylserine derived from the bovine cortex appears to reduce cortisol in high concentrations, there is no evidence to support the role of soy based phosphatidylserine in this role and evidence to actively disprove an ability of PS to suppress cortisol or ACTH.
SUPPLEMENT DOSING: 800-1600mg daily usually taken either pre-workout or before bed. In very active individuals with high daily stress can be taken at both times.
PRODUCTS WE CARRY WITH THIS INGREDIENT:
- MPA Cortisolve
- NOW Phosphatidylserine