What is it?
L-citrulline is a non-essential amino acid that is produced in the rind and flesh of watermelons. Citrulline malate is the malic salt form of citrulline, and it is the form in which citrulline most frequently appears in sports nutrition products.
Citrulline, which is converted into arginine in the kidneys, has been shown to increase blood plasma levels of arginine more efficiently than through arginine supplementation alone. This has a positive effect on the body’s ability to process ammonia, which is a toxic by-product of the breakdown of amino acids that happens during intense exercise. Thus, citrulline has been shown to be beneficial in reducing fatigue and increasing endurance in both aerobic and anaerobic activity.
Citrulline has also been demonstrated to increase blood flow by allowing the blood vessels to relax, lowering blood pressure in individuals with elevated blood pressure. In some cases of men with high blood pressure, citrulline is used to treat erectile dysfunction.
In a few studies the Malate portion of Citrulline Malate has also been shown to increase intra-muscular ATP production during exercise. This increased ATP production leads to instant and sustained energy.
- For improved athletic performance: take 6-8 grams about 30-60 minutes before exercise.
- For improved circulatory health or for erectile dysfunction: take 1.75g three times a day, or a total of 5.25g.
- Citrulline malate can be taken with or without meals.
Products we carry with this ingredient
- Allmax Impact Ignite
- American Anabolix Havok Hardcore
- Granite Supplements Arc Reactor
- MuscleSport Rhino Black
- Nutrex Outlift and Outlift Amped
- Olympus Labs Reign
- Project AD Nitrox
- Redcon1 Total War
- Rock Solid Nutrition Pre-Pump
- NutraKey L-Citrulline
Written by Jeff McCray